The Staunton Lions Club was chartered April 16, 1941.
On May 26, 1987. our club sponsored the Woodrow Wilson Lioness Club. Lioness Jean Snead was the Charter President, with PDG Wilson Snead and Lion Hansford Johnson as Guiding Lions. The Woodrow Wilcon Lioness Club became a full Lions Club on June 3, 2002 through the Lioness Bridge Program, with Lion Joseph Baugher, from the Staunton Lions Club, as our Guiding Lion, and was renamed the Woodrow Wilson Lioness/Lions Club.
Our two clubs merged back into one in 2019, and we remain the Staunton Lions Club.
We are very active in our community through various service projects, including sight and hearing conversation.
Working with the Augusta Free Clinic, our Sight Conservation program provides exams and glasses for these unable to provide for themselves. We encourage community members to be eye donors through the Department of Motor Vehicles , and we collect used eye glasses to be recycled. We also contribute to the Old Dominion Eye Foundations.
We promote and encourage us of ear plugs to prevent damage to ears from excess noise. We collect used hearing aids and provide rebuilt (or make a contribution to the cost of new) hearing aids for those unable to provide for themselves, and we contribute to the Lions of Virginia Hearing Foundations.
In addition to our main service activities, we provide monetary support for the Lions Club International Foundation, Leader Dog School, Lions of Virginia Foundation, Lions Sight Foundation of Virginia, Diabetes camp of local child through Augusta Health, Sight and Hearing Mobile Screening Unit, Lions of Virginia Diabetes, Computer equipment for a blind student, and we donate food to the Blue Ridge Food Bank.
We raise funds for our projects through various projects throughout the year, including running the concession stand during the Bluegrass at Gypsy Hill Park concerts each summer. All funds we raise our used solely for public service.